I love Nettle! One of my most favourite ways to enjoy? Nettle Pesto!
There are so many reasons to LOVE this herb. I LOVE missy Nettle!
Yes, I do. The abundance of this powerful plant, thought to be a useless
weed by many, is one of the earth’s gifts to us, and never more important than “now”.
So many of us are rushing about with long “to do” lists, filling up on coffee to help us
get going every morning and then more coffee or ‘Cola’ for ongoing caffeine support.
are probably the most nutritionally-dense plant on Mother Earth. Rich in
protein, trace minerals and vitamins, it has the ability to restore energy, working deep
within the body on our ‘zapped’ adrenal glands. Missy nettle has several ‘mechanisms of
action’ and can move her deep healing powers to all of the cells in our body.
That is, if we can ingest enough! I am fond of saying that herbs can indeed change our
lives if we take the correct herb, the best version of that herb, enough of that herb and
take it longer than we think is necessary. In this case, the ‘trick’ is to ensure that we have
nettle often. Make it a habit, to find ways to incorporate nourishing herbs like
‘Stinging Nettle” into our daily lives. Sometimes, that’s a challenge. I thought I’d share
some ideas with you ~ to help you to make this delightful ‘green lady’ be an integral
part of your life. Each season offers a different idea.
Remember: Pick the fresh nettles with care. That formic acid does sting!
In the spring, I collect fresh nettles
, and enjoy them steamed, with a little butter added
and a dash of sea salt and fresh ground black pepper. Any way that you would
prepare spinach or collards or Swiss chard, you can substitute with nettles
Try this! It’s SO good.
I make a delicious stir-fried dandelion greens dish, and, when possible, I add nettles
the dandelions. Make an herbal paste ~ just leave out the cheese and whirr up in your food processor like this — >
Just use your imagination and enjoy. You will love this WILD food. It’s the best!!!
Here’s ONE of many Pesto ideas:
SPRING Nettle Pesto with Dandelion
Packs a deep green nutritious punch! Yummy. Freeze excess in small tubs or ice cubes like I do!
- 1 large bunch of fresh Dandelion leaves
- 2 large handfuls of nettle leaves
- 2 oz almonds (or nut of your choice)
- 4 oz parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 oz Olive oil (best you can find!)
- Place the greens into a pot of boiling water for a minute or so.
- Strain into a colander in the sink and douse with cold water.
- Put the greens into your food processor (or blender)
- Add the nuts and the cheese.
- Add enough olive oil to allow the machine to do it’s work.
- When the mixture forms a paste-like consistency, add the remaining olive oil.
- Pour the mixture into a large jar or container with lid.
- I tend to use canning jars with good lids. Store in the fridge
Studio Botanica http://studiobotanica.com/
NOTE: I also have made this sort of pesto without the cheese. Then I pour into ice cube
trays and freeze overnight. I call this “herb paste”.
After frozen, the cubes go into a zip lock ‘labeled’ bag in my freezer. I add the cheese
when using later (or not!) These herb paste cubes are ready to add to any soups, stews,
sauces or stir-fries. They offer the additional nourishment of nettle in an easy-to-use
For EVERY season, there’s a way I use nettles
. I wrote about this a while back in an eReport.
Check out this printable PDF here
Want to learn more about how to increase self reliance and use herbs in your life? There’s a festive form at the bottom of this post ~~ sign up for my seasonal newsletter and don’t miss a recipe!
- Chances are .. if you are reading Studio Botanica, you would like to learn how to maximize your knowledge of plant medicine or herbal culinary recipes — Just quick bites here every week that teach just that. I love sharing resources with you ~ as I find them..Would you like to know how to properly use herbs and essential oils?If you answered yes, you may want to learn about the latest digital bundle.
You’re going to love the Herbs & Essential Oils bundle!The bundle has 26 products (including 16 eBooks & printables plus 10 eCourses)!
- Rebuild your medicine cabinet with natural remedies
- Tackle your child’s health ailments naturally
- Preserve, harvest, and cook with healing herbs
- Confidently and safely use essential oils in your home
- Create beauty and skincare products without harmful ingredients
- Survive cold and flu season without getting sick (and remedies to help you if you do)
Worried you won’t know where to start with all the products in the bundle?
Don’t be! Inside the bundle you’ll find a handy Getting Started Guide to help you find the categories you want to take action with right away. Imagine replacing your ‘medicine’ cabinet with natural alternatives!!
The combined value of the many resources in this special bundle is over $770,
but you get EVERYTHING for 93% off! Check it out here.
I bought one. I am thrilled with the super resources ~ I may be a practicing herbalist and I may be a certified aromatherapist — but I am always learning — Hope you enjoy it all.
Check it out soon. It’s offered until midnight Monday May 22nd — here ! !