Excited to share one of MY OWN favourite summer recipes: Grilled Peaches!
plus a BONUS ! ~ a fabulous peachy summer salad!
Peaches are one of my favourite fruits and summertime I love to enjoy as many as possible! WHY? Well it’s not just the juicy delicate peachy taste; peaches are so GOOD for us! There’s nothing like the feeling of that divine peachy goodness ~ so succulent that I always find myself standing over the sink in my kitchen so I won’t wear the juice!! Admit it. You do it too… Maybe you have an idea for me ~ do share!
ONE large peach
* contains about 70 calories
* is highly anti-oxidant
* is a great source of Vitamin C
* is a good source of Vitamin A as well as Beta-Carotene
* contains anti-aging components like lutein and zeaxanthin
* is rich in minerals like potassium and iron
Whether you enjoy peaches as a simple tasty snack or add them it a morning ‘smoothie’,
peaches can help us to lower our daily calorie intake if we eat them often.
I love to grill peaches in place of sugary high calorie desserts during BBQ season.
Have you ever tasted GRILLED PEACHES?
This is the most decadent way to take the priceless peach to a new level!
It’s EASY! If you’ve not tried it, you must. I can’t rave enough about this special treat.
Here’s what to do:
Buy peaches at your local farmers market or grocery store.
Buy organic when possible AND local for sure!
Cut the peaches in half. Remove the ‘stone’.
Heat the BBQ. (or indoor grill)
Place peaches ‘cut side down’ on the grill.
Turn down the heat. Cover.
Grill for 4-5 minutes.
Serve your grilled peaches warm ‘solo’ (luscious and SO GOOD!!) or atop frozen yogurt, ice cream, ice milk, yogurt or well.. the sky’s the limit!
I love to use the upper rack on my BBQ and put a pan underneath which then catches the luscious juice, which can be incorporated into glazes or marinades or poured back over your ‘creation’ ( as above!!)
What’s your preferred way to eat peaches?
I enjoy peaches in a salad too. Quick to assemble and delicious! Here’s your BONUS recipe!!
- 12 cups (3 L) assorted greens* (Spinach, Boston, Leaf, Arugula, Romaine)
- 2 cups (500 mL) sliced peeled blanched peaches (and/or nectarines or plums)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sprigs of fresh herbs (e.g. ^thyme, tarragon, basil, marjoram)
- 1/2 cup (123 mL) goat cheese or feta cheese or Blue cheese (optional)
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) white wine vinegar
- 1 clove Garlic, local if possible, crushed
- 1 tsp (5 mL) finely chopped fresh tarragon (or other fresh herb)
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) black pepper
- optional: 1/2 tsp (2 mL) honey or maple syrup (or organic sugar)
- Tear greens into bite-size pieces. In large mixing bowl, combine greens, peaches, plums or nectarines and herbs.
- May be assembled without fruit the night before; add fruit just before tossing with dressing.
- In food processor and using steel blade, combine oil, vinegar, garlic, tarragon, salt, sugar and pepper.
- Pour into jar and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
- Toss salad, with dressing.
- Spoon onto serving platter and serve at once.
- Try this colourful summer salad with a mixture of greens.
- Choose from watercress, Boston, arugula, spinach, nasturtium.
- Add slivers of peaches, plums or nectarines and then toss with fresh herbs^
- for additional flavour and nutrition.
*or wild greens!!
How do you enjoy PEACHES?? I’d love to hear all about it!