We’ve been living on Slow Cooker meals this month, as temps have been super-sonic deep freezing! COLDEST days on record in southern Ontario, for decades.. Working a lot and not having the time or energy (or interest) to bother with a lot of food prep? Enter… the slow cooker or as we’ve always called it .. The CROCK POT!
- 1/4 lb beef, cubed
- 2 sausages (we used spicy debs*)
- 1 container Broth (vegetable, chicken, beef- your choice)
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1/2 cup corn (we used frozen)
- 1/2 cup peas (also frozen peas)
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 1 large can tomatoes, diced
- 1 can beans (i like to use organic mixed beans)
- Sea Salt + Fresh ground pepper
- ! tbsp horseradish (grated)
- 4 cloves garlic (crushed + chopped)
- 1 tsp turmeric (organic powder or fresh, grated)
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg (fresh, grated if possible)
- 1 tablespoon Tamari
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- Optional: 1 tsp cinnamon, ground
- I rarely use an actual recipe, but we enjoyed this last stew so much, I decided to write it up for you to enjoy. I’m sure you’ll see that it’s a guideline more than a recipe. Use whatever you have on hand!
- I basically — just throw it all in – -and then start seasoning and then re-check after the cooking time is finished. I put all the ingredients below into the slow cooker. Then I start it off on high for about an hour or two, before turning it to low and leaving it for 5-8 hours. That’s just how I do it, because I normally put it together in the evening and have it simmer overnight.
- *spicy Debrecener or other spicy sausage. We have a butcher in our community who makes these from ‘scratch’ with no chemicals or odd additions. Substitute whatever you can find but make it something tasty!
Whichever way you add the above ingredients, or your own combination of veggies, legumes or meat ~ try to use the best quality that is available ~ and DO experiment with lots of healing herbs and spices. For more ingredient ideas check here.
What’s YOUR favourite warming winter dish??