Healing SOUP! Anytime is a good time for this delicious soup! Dear readers will recognize this soup. I have made it for many years, and usually have some in the freezer as a ‘back up’. We are all busy. Sadly, a true statement. If there is ONE functional food remedy that I recommend, it’s this recipe.
Take the TIME to make this!
Healing Soup, as it has come to be known to friends, family and clients is a ‘life-saver’. For those times when there is a ‘vague malaise’ or tell-tale ‘whisper’ of a symptom hovering nearby, this soup is a phenomenal healer!
Of course, you just know that I have a full winter herbal medicine chest ~ brimming with herbal remedies. I’ve written an eBook about ways to prevent and treat colds and flu. It’s an important topic for winter health!
This SOUP, however is such a powerful ally, that here I am again, sharing it and encouraging a batch in your house.. soon!!
Here we go:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 to 3 onions, chopped
- 10 to 12 garlic cloves, peeled
- Bone Broth or Chicken stock
- 1 cup grated horseradish root
- 2-inch piece gingerroot, grated
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Sea salt
- Black pepper freshly ground
- 2 cups combination of chopped celery, carrots, parsnips, corn, and peas
- Optional: 4 cups cooked, bite-sized pieces of chicken (free-range or organic preferred)
- In a soup pot over medium heat, heat the oil and add the onions.
- Sauté until tender.
- Add 1 to 2 crushed garlic cloves at the beginning, but keep most until the very end to ensure garlic’s medicine is intact.
- Add the broth, horseradish, ginger, cayenne and a dash of salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the vegetables and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the cooked chicken, if using.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Add the remaining garlic and serve.
- NOTE: For those not ‘acclimatized’ to Horseradish, perhaps use 1/2 cup initially.
- My ‘extra ingredients’ are listed below; added when the mood strikes!