Looking for a quick appetizer that’s yummy AND good for you ? These flavours combine to make one of
my favourite meatless apps. If I have the time to roast the red peppers, great ~ but otherwise the jar of roasted peppers is a real time-saver.
Sweet red peppers are a good source of Vitamin K, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Potassium and Manganese, and a very good source of fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Vitamin B6 and Folate.
Add the peppers to Chickpeas, and enjoy increased fiber, more Vitamin B6 and Folate plus, a great source of Manganese, which, helps your body break down fats, carbohydrates, and proteins.
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 (4 ounce) jar roasted red bell peppers, drained
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp tahini and/or 1 garlic clove, crushed + chopped finely
- Place the chickpeas, feta cheese, drained red peppers, lemon juice, parsley, cayenne pepper, and salt in the bowl of a food processor; blend until smooth.
hummus ~ make it your own. Black olives are another super addition to create another level of flavour.
ANY of the hummus dips are delicious with a mixed veggie platter and make a colourful
healthy platter to munch and crunch on when friends drop by or anytime.
Check out the EASY bakcd Pita recipe below ~
- 4 whole wheat pita breads
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and finely minced
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon coarse sea salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons sesame seeds
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Cut the pita breads in half and in half again. Cut each triangle in half and separate the pieces.
- Arrange on a baking sheet with the inside of the bread facing up.
- Combine the olive oil with the garlic, herbs, salt and black pepper to taste.
- Brush the pita chips generously with the seasoned oil.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake until crisp, about 10-12 minutes.
- Use two baking sheets or bake them in batches.
- You will want to watch them closely as they go from not quite done to "OVER-done" very quickly.
Your comments are welcome. Tell us about your favourites!